Drop Down Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Review Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 1 and 2 (2015 – )

genre: comedy, drama






Remember a show called 30 Rock? Basically Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is a continuation of that spirit wise with other players. Only Tina Fey (creator / writer) and Jane Krakowski make a return. 

But unlike 30 Rock Tina Fey for the most part takes a step back acting wise and puts in charge Ellie Kemper as Kimmy Schmidt. And darned she is cute, adorable, very flawed but immensely likable. So what is the deal with Kimmy? Kimmy has fallen victim to a cult leader who kidnapped her and had her locked up in a bunker for many years. And finally after getting rescued she is out to do in the world whatever she wants. That life still proves to be difficult for her is where most of the comedy comes from. Kimmy has to cope with a changed world where people are less friendly and very cynical. She encounters Titus and Lillian who kind off take her in. Lillian (played by Carol Kane) is the weird old lady you can't but help to like. Titus (played by Tituss Burgess) is a character alright. He has a personality that is all over the place. Interesting but not always likable. And Jane Krakowski as Jacqueline White is doing Jenna Marony but this time facing problems and issues she never had to face before. 

All in all the show is filled with pretty colourful people and for 95 percent of the time will make you laugh guaranteed. The remaining 5 percent is reserved for some touching and endearing drama subtly covered up with jokes and gags. Yes, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is hilarious. So many things in the show are plain ridiculous and outrageous. But at the same time it manages to stay close to things so that we can relate to the characters and events. Kimmy for example is almost child like in her interactions and the ways of the world. Still she is an incredibly strong woman who can face any challenge she comes across. Who wouldn't love her? 

Not everything is perfect. Sometimes certain developments in episodes don't have an impact on the next episode where to as other developments do. But that also happened in 30 Rock. Both season finales for me were disappointing since it is in these episodes they abandoned  the comedy in favour of the drama a little too much and because of that have a very different vibe to them compared to the normal episodes. Still this could be considered nitpicking since I will be watching season 3 and all the seasons after if they keep it as good as it is now. Netflix is ideal for this comedy. Want to laugh then start up your Netflix and watch one or all the episodes of the show. Very bingable. (I am aware that it's not a proper word but you know what I mean.)



Other Netflix shows to check out:





No comments:

Featured

Search







Trailers

Newsletter

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Join us for free and get valuable content delivered right through your inbox.



Contact

Reviews Netflix Originals

Archive


Google+ Followers

FOLLOW US